Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: Molly's Money-Saving Digest (January 2010)


Molly's Money-Saving Digest was provided to me to review as my try-out for the TOS Homeschool Crew. The e-book is sold at The Old Schoolhouse Store, for $4.95 for each monthly installment. I know, you're saying to yourself, you want me to spend money to save money; I thought that too. I downloaded this e-book, thinking it just doesn't make sense to be frugal by spending money, I had another think coming.

The Digest has a lot of features that really do encourage you in frugal living, from menu planning to thrift store shopping. One of the features I enjoyed the most were the worksheets: budgets, calendars, to-do lists and finally the one that I would have never thought of, but would truly use the Clothing Inventory. I love to thrift store shop but tend to grab things that the kids don't really need, just because it's a good deal. If I had a clothing inventory I would know that Sissy probably doesn't need any shirts, but maybe could do with some shorts. I'm kind of dorky like that, but I love the idea of knowing what's in every one's dresser and what I should be looking for.

I have personally found that menu planning helps me to save money, so the menu section and recipes in this digest are really useful and fun. January, specifically; has a whole section on pie crusts and how to make them. I loved it, it will be so fun to make pies this spring and summer with my kids and have my sons make their own homemade crusts.

Finally, there is a section on how to decorate your home "on the cheap". I personally right now, have a preschooler who feels her artwork belongs on the walls, permanently; meaning she is drawing directly on the walls. Feathering my nest is the furthest thing from my mind, but on the other hand there is a great project involving frames, wire and your own photos that I thought looked really fun. Someday!

I really enjoyed Molly's Money-Saving Digest and will probably order it for myself. I loved the practical ideas, worksheets, recipes and fun that it provided; it would certainly be worth the money.

No comments: