Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pearson Education-TOS review

Photobucket

OK, this is it, my final review of this school year with the TOS Crew.  I'm back next year, so definitely be looking for reviews of some wonderful homeschool products.  I was really excited about doing this review when I got the beautiful oversized book for Grade 1 math from Pearson School, Ry is a first grader and Sissy will be in K in the fall.  After looking over it, I decided that it would be very remedial for Ry.  Sissy was so excited to get a product that was for her to review.
Photobucket
enVisionMath, as it's name implies, is a very visual approach to math.  Everything is brightly colored and very engaging, which Sissy loved.  The pages are meant to be torn out and folded to make a little work booklet, this definitely made it easier to work with this huge book.  It also gave Sissy a natural start and stop point, which she needs; otherwise in her excitement to do school she would race through the whole book.
Photobucket

Let me just say that this is neither a positive or negative review, in all honestly I didn't receive enough of the product to give a complete review.  We only received one portion of a much bigger product, the workbook.  We didn't receive digital access, teacher's manual or the manipulatives; without all of these we were a little bit in the dark on how to best utilize this program.
Photobucket
From page 1 I realized that without a teachers guide I had no way to know what she was supposed to do on the first part of every one of the 20 lessons, so I went online to see if I could buy the Teacher's manual to help me use this product more effectively, their website is entirely geared to public school teachers or administrators, so as a homeschooler I couldn't even access most of it.  As far as I could tell the only way to get the TM was in a big expensive classroom package that cost over $500 dollars, not happening.  So Sissy and I decided to just muddle through.  I noticed immediately that it was a little on the easy side for Sis and she hasn't even officially started K yet, she whizzed right through the lessons.  She didn't really need a lot of review, but for the child who does this product would leave you needing more; there is little to no review in this product.

Did we like it?  Yes and no.  It is not user friendly for the homeschooler, nor is it very affordable.  As far as I could tell the workbook that we received was around $35 w/digital access.  I can't tell you if the digital access is helpful because I didn't receive access to it, but maybe that is where the review for the lessons is introduced, I don't know.  I can say that Sissy loved the book, the bold colors really engaged her.  She loved the more visual approach and enjoyed doing her math each day.

Sissy and I weren't the only ones who reviewed this product, so head over here to see what others had to say about Pearson Education's products.

Christi
 
{I received the aforementioned workbook for the purpose of review.  I did not receive any other compensation and was not required to write a positive review.}

No comments: