Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who Is God? And Can I Really Know Him?-TOS Review

Photobucket

As a Christian I have struggled many times to share my faith with my children.  Not particularly what I believe, but why I believe it.  I think many of us struggle to instill our belief system into our children.  They are bombarded daily with what others believe, through TV, internet, sometimes even church or youth groups; our childrens beliefs are put to the test.  Are they ready? Are they prepared to defend what they believe?

When we received Who Is God? And Can I Really Know Him?, we were really excited to dig into this study by Apologia Ministries in cooperation with Summit Ministries, it didn't disappoint.  As with all of the Apologia products, the layout is very user friendly and the book is of the highest quality.  The book is suggested for kids from 6 to 14, since it is written in a conversational tone it can be done as a read-aloud with the younger age range and as an independent study with the older age range, it is a very versatile study.  Since I have students on both ends of that age range we were able to use this study to its fullest extent.  My 5 and 7 year old children loved the stories and my 14 year old found the text informative and exciting.  The book is laid out in 10 lessons, each packed with so much information that you can make a lesson last anywhere from 4-5 days to 1-2 weeks depending on the child and the interest level in that particular topic.

Each lesson is laid out in a basic way and has several key components.
1. The Big Idea: Introduction to the main topic.
2. What You Will Do: Learning objectives.
3. Short Story: Introduces characters for your child to engage with that present different worldviews.
4. Think About It: Questions that help your child dig deeper into the lesson objectives.
5. Words you Need to Know:  Vocabulary words that can help as a child deepens their study and even help them understand church services better.
6. Hide It in Your Heart: Memory verses to help your child internalize the lesson.
7. Integrated Learning: Broader understanding of the main theme across multiple subjects.
8. What Should I Do: Highlights a Godly character trait that your child can work to apply to their lives.
9. Worldview Study: Help the child to understand the concept of worldview, why we believe what we believe.
10. House of Truth: This section will build throughout this book and the coming books in the series.  It is to help a child build their 'House' or foundation of their faith.

You can download a sample lesson to see for yourself how awesome this product is.
Lesson 1: Where Am I Building My Life(click for sample)  You can also see the other books in this series over here, the second book is already available and the third and fourth will be available soon.

Each of the books in the series are $39.00 and are what I like to call internet-linked, meaning that there are extras on the website for the purchaser to download, in this case; notebooking pages.  This is an awesome series and I can't suggest enough that you look into it for your family, but don't just take my word for it, head over here to see what other crewmembers thought.

Photobucket

Christi

{As a member of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew I received a copy of "Who Is God?" free of charge for the purpose of writing this review.  I received no other compensation and was not required to write a positive review.}

No comments: