Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas at Bass Pro Shop




We don't generally push the Santa thing and honestly I think I might have one pic of my older kids on Santa's lap, miserable and sad. We never went again and the younger ones have never been to see Santa. Neither of them were overly excited at the idea but they both did it.
They are a little out of focus, because they are a pic of a pic.  He was probably one of the nicest Santa's I had ever seen. He was extraordinarily soft spoken and so gentle, you couldn't hear their conversation but you could see the animation on the kids faces as they talked to him.  They really seemed to enjoy it.

From there I proceeded to snap a few random pics working with different settings on my camera.  We are in the middle of a bitter cold wave and all of the downstairs windows were frozen over.  I love ice and the patterns it makes on glass, this is a crop of a shot I took.  I think the lower right hand corners look kind of like flowers.
 They had multiple play areas set up for the kids to enjoy, Mom enjoyed racing with Ry and Sissy.

We looked around a lot and really enjoyed the pond and live ducks in the store.  They have  multiple stuffed animals and mannequins doing different outdoor sports that we thought were really cool, too.
The miniature train set up to go through a snowy landscape was one of Ry's favorites, he played with the train and I played with my camera and the aperture settings a bit to try to get the background to go blurry.  It worked pretty well, click and see.

Finally, I've been working on the above technique at home too.  It's called Bokeh when you can get your background to blur and cause lights to make beautiful blurry spots.  Here's another example of my effort.
I'm linking this up to Holiday Bliss over at Garden of Learning.  I haven't really played along much this month, but honestly we don't do a lot during the holidays.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope y'all are making the most of this Christmas season.

Contact Me Blogger Picasa

3 comments:

Catherine said...

You're very good with the camera. I like the last one with the nativity, the lights blur looks so pretty. Oh, and I'm really glad you had a nice Santa!

Jen U. said...

We went to the Bass Pro Shop Santa Land here in our area last year for the first time and the kids loved it. We don't push the Santa thing either. The kids actually know that their gifts come from us but the younger ones just like visiting him. We are heading over to Bass Pro tomorrow night for them to have some fun this year. I enjoyed your pictures.

Penny said...

Stopping by from the crew.

Love photography, too, but still only have a point and shoot. At least I actually got to upgrade to a decent digital camera a few years ago. Some of the pics I have of our older children...oh, my. lol

Opportunities for great winter pictures should be right around the corner. Enjoy!

Blessings,
PK