Sunday, January 10, 2010

Liberty and Tyranny-A Conservative Manifesto

bI am participating in the 52 Books in 52 weeks. I aimed a little high for my first book of the year, but I was able to finish it.
This is not a book for the feint of heart. I consider myself fairly well-read, with a better than average vocabulary; to say I struggled through it would be an understatement. I can say with all honesty that I enjoyed it. It was incredibly informative and thought-provoking. I will admit that I am a conservative, so Mark Levin was speaking my language, but I don't believe that only conservatives would benefit from reading this. Levin outlines from Roosevelt forward, the many steps that the federal government has taken to make themselves necessary to people. In other words, making us a Welfare state!! Levin peppers his book with quotes from many sources, from Montesquieu to Lincoln, Obama to Bush, every quote leaves you thinking about our country and our future. Finally, in the last couple of pages he outlines his Conservative Manifesto, all I can say is, "Where do I sign up?" This is not a great review, but hey it's my first, so bear with me. I am going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the book, and this is just one of hundreds.

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." Abraham Lincoln

Christi aka Conservative in Exile

4 comments:

Our Westmoreland School said...

Not my cup of tea, but if I were to read a politically motivated book on purpose, this sounds like a good one.

Thank you for sharing :)

Daisy said...

My husband loved this book. He's actually starting it again, after he finished Common Sense.

Cassie, Jase and Kirsten said...

Hi there! We are doing a "Learn the States" Postcard Swap and was wondering if your family would be at all interested in representing Missouri! We only have a few states left to fill, Missouri being one of them, so if you're at all interested, head on over to http://ouradventuresineducation.blogspot.com/search/label/postcards to learn more! Sorry I left a commend instead of e-mailing you - I couldn't find your contact information anywhere.

Loretta said...

Hi

Visiting from TOS Blog Walk, and picked this month's archive at random.

Your review of this book makes me want to read it; I look forward to reading your reviews from TOS.

Blessings,